There are so many face and body creams on the market today that try to convince you that you should be using a collagen cream, but they all might seem a bit silly and contrite if you still find yourself wondering What IS collagen, anyway? It isn’t any sort of chemical or lab-created miracle drug; it’s actually a very natural compound and is essential to the human body. Here are a few fun facts about collagen if you’re still feeling confused:
- Collagen is a fibrous protein that is naturally found in the human body. The biggest of the natural health benefits of collagen is elasticity for the skin. It doesn’t mean that you can pretend to be Gumby, but it does allow you to do things like bend your knees and elbows without hurting your skin.
- There are at least 12 types of natural collagen known to scientists, and overall collagen is the most abundant protein found in nature.
- Production of collagen naturally decreases as we age, but it doesn’t mean that we stop needing it completely.
- The effects of a decrease in natural collagen production are: wrinkles, joint and ligament pain, a decrease in elasticity of hair, thinning lips, and fragile nails.
- The natural health benefits of collagen includes stronger bones, reduced joint inflammation and pain, filled in wrinkles and fine lines, and overall healthier hair, skin, bones, and nails.
- Cosmetic surgeries often use collagen to fill in imperfections and brighten the skin, but collagen can also be found as a pill or powder. It can be ingested as a solution for various internal benefits, or it can be applied externally (most often in the form of a cream).
There are many collagen skincare products available today, including a plethora of collagen creams for hair, skin, nails, lips, and face. Alternatively, many cosmetic procedures done by a medical professional often involve collagen fillers because there are so many different ways to reap the natural health benefits of collagen. Whether you are looking for a product to help the aesthetic quality of your hair and skin or you’re looking for an alternative treatment for health issues such as stomach ulcers, rheumatoid arthritis, or cataracts — you’ll find that the natural health benefits of collagen are practically endless. Helpful links.